Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is a Connecticut State Pistol Permit?
    • The correct title actually is the Connecticut State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. This permit allows holders to carry a loaded handgun within the state. Their is no language specifying that the handgun must be concealed or openly carried, the choice is up to the permit holder. You are not legally Currently you are restricted to carrying only 10 rounds in the magazine (an additional round may be loaded into the chamber).
  2. Do I qualify for a Connecticut State Pistol Permit?
    • Yes, assuming that you DO NOT have any of the following:
      • Felony Conviction
      • ​Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence Conviction
      • You are an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (see Controlled Substance Act (21 U.S.C. 801, et. seq.)
      • You were discharged from custody within the preceding 20 years after having been found Not Guilty of a Crime by Reason of Mental Disease or Defect.
      • You were confined to a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities within the preceding 60 months. 
      • You were voluntarily admitted to a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities within the preceding 6 months. (excludes alcohol or drug dependence)
      • You are subject to a Restraining Order or Protective Order for a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person.
      • You are subject to a court issued risl warrant to seize firearms pursuant to C.G.S. 29-38c(d).
      • You are an Illegal Alien.
      • You have renounced your United States Citizenship.
      • You were dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
      • You are prohibited by Federal Law under 18 U.S.C. 922 (g) or (n).
  3. Can I carry a handgun in every state with this permit?
    • No, but the following states currently have reciprocity with Connecticut State Pistol Permit holders. With your permit you are allowed to legally carry in these states provided that you follow their specific laws*:
      • Alabama
      • Alaska
      • Arizona
      • Arkansas
      • Connecticut
      • Idaho
      • Indiana
      • Iowa
      • Kansas
      • Kentucky
      • Michigan
      • Mississippi
      • Missouri
      • Montana
      • Nebraska
      • North Carolina
      • Ohio
      • Oklahoma
      • South Dakota
      • Tennessee
      • Texas
      • Utah
      • Vermont
      • Wisconsin

* This list is subject to change at any time.

  1. How do I change my address on my Pistol Permit?
    • Within 48 hours of moving, you must call 860.685.8494, email or mail your address change to: 
      • Department of Public Safety, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
      • 1111 Country Club Rd 
      • Middetown, CT 06457
  2. Can I keep my Connecticut State Pistol Permit if I move out of state?
    • Yes, but you must notify the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit of the change of address, and continue to renew your permit. 
  3. I lost my NRA Basic Pistol course certificate, can I get a replacement?
    • Yes, we do charge a $30 fee for the replacement of lost or destroyed NRA Basic Pistol course certificates.
  4. How do I apply for a Connecticut Non-Resident Pistol Permit?
    • Out of state residents may apply for a Connecticut Non-Resident Pistol Permit by submitting the DPS-799-C application and other requirements directly to the State Police. See The DESPP website or call 860.685.8494 for more information and to download the DPS-799-C application and instructions.